Chronicler

Chronicler

Lady Sighrid Bengsdottir serves as the Shire’s Chronicler. She is also a fine fibre artist and a fierce Viking.

  • East Kingdom Chronicler’s website
  • Society Chronicler’s website
  • Digital Release forms from the EK Webminister’s website

Posts from our Chronicler

March 2017 Business Meeting Minutes

Posted by on Mar 27, 2017 in Chronicler | 0 comments

The meeting opened with the Officer’s Reports as follows:

Seneschal:  Still awaiting word on the Shire becoming a Barony and letters of intent from Royals. Paperwork for Shire Wars was signed and a Certificate of Insurance is forthcoming. A certificate of insurance was received for Artisans Village and was passed on to the event autocrat.

Exchequer: the checkbook was received from the previous exchequer and checks were made out to cover previous fencing practices and the site fee for Artisan’s Village. A check was received for deposit from last year’s Shire Wars.

Herald: No news to report.

MoAS: the MOAS report has been sent in. There will be a silk painting class on 2 April, from 6-9 pm at the Churchville Nature Center.  Ray has one ticket available to the Cherry Blossom Festival Tea ceremony, cost is $35. If interested, talk to Ray.  A trip to the Cloisters in NY is in the works, more details to follow.

Knight Marshall: Neil received his official Marshall necklace. No other news to report.

Mistress of the Lists: No news to report.

Chatelaine:  Nothing new on the Chatelaine’s Web site.  Two additional youth fencing jackets have been found.  Excess Gold Key items will be for sale during Artisan’s Village in a “plague sale” to raise additional funds for the shire. Donations will be gladly accepted.

Web Mistress:  the 404 error message on the official web page has been corrected.  Tara has been added to the official page, and the email is available to all. All updates concerning Artisan’s Village, Wrightstown Ren Faire and Shire Wars will be posted to the page.

Fencing Marshall:  Fencing practice has been moved to the Churchville Nature Center and will be held on the  2nd and 3rd Tuesday of the month.

 

Update on Artisan’s Village:   The Brewer’s Guild will be holding a Brewer’s College that will include the making of beer and Mead. A license was obtained for said libations but please note that the park will be open to the public while we are there so please use discretion while imbibing on the fruits of the Guild’s labor. Mundane laws regarding age will apply.

Feast: Sir Ivan has graciously volunteered to head up an informal feast for Saturday night,  helped by none other than BIG Tiberious, Baron Mael Eoin and Katya Gordon, etc… Feast will consist of platters of flame grilled meats, with two sides for each meat, and fruit. More details to follow.

Dayboard: there will be a “rolling dayboard” to ensure max participation in classes. Details to follow.

Breakfast: Breakfast will be served to campers on Saturday and Sunday morning.  A list of breakfast foods will be provided.

Tara was mentioned to head the Bardic activities during feast etc… and a volunteer is still needed to fill in for Christine for her spot in the Village.

A cabin has been rented for shire use, and others are asked to bring other structures as available i.e. EZ Ups, etc…

A call has been put out for individuals who may have extra freezer space for food prep prior to the event. Please contact Christine for more information as needed.

Budgetarily, even with cabin rental the shire is under budget for site fees, and a budget of $1600 for feast was provided by Sir Ivan.

Token materials were donated by Cindy and Suellen, and will consist of a tiny hand that says “hand made” to honor the spirit of Artisan’s Village, along with a Stag’s head for those partaking of feast. There will be a “bead and feed” session at Mudthaw to finish the tokens.

 

Wrightstown Ren Faire: No available update

Shire Wars update: Ray received last year’s Shire War report from Duchess Diana. He also received the site fee contract from the Bay Shore Scout Camp.  The theme for Shire Wars will stay the same, “The Battle of Hastings”, and the site, The Bay Shore Scout Camp will stay the same, although the fee has risen by $200. The number of shires participating in Shire Wars is in flux due to reorganization , however a letter of intent will be sent to those participating Shires, and a donation of $400 to $600 will be asked of each.

A comparison of the previous 2 Shire Wars budgets  were handed out, as was a breakdown of this year’s proposed budget, and that budget will be sent to the other shires as well.

Baron Mael Eoin has graciously volunteered to do feast, and a budget is pending.

Tokens and programs will be made by volunteers from other shires.

Ray has rented a cabin on the grounds that will be used as needed.

Since there will be tournaments during Shire Wars, marshals will be needed. Matt Connors is the POC for Heavy Marshals, and Frank Hetherington is the POC for Fencing marshals. Ray has already taken care of the Thrown Weapons and Archery Marshals.

 

A list asking for Volunteers for various positions, people etc…. is forthcoming.

 

Shire Social: A date for the first Shire Social is pending. Details will be updated on the official web page and FB page.

Barring any unforeseen natural events, or any unnatural events, the next business meeting will take place on 20 April at 7:30 pm, at the Churchville Nature Center.

 

Minutes by Lady Ravenna, on behalf of Lady Sigridh.

 


Meeting-minutes-32317

February 2017 Business Meeting Minutes

Posted by on Feb 25, 2017 in Chronicler | 0 comments

Shire Meeting Minutes 2/23/2017

Note: the Shire meeting was rescheduled from February 16 to the 23 due to lack of officer quorum.

New Business:

  • There is a new place and schedule for the shire fencing practice. The practice will be held at the Churchville Nature Center (same place as the meetings) at 7:30 pm in the large community room. We have use of the room on the 2nd and 3rd Tuesday of the month. The room is spoken for by another organization on the other Tuesdays. The use is covered under our current rental fee. There will no longer be fencing practice at Middletown due to costs. Other Tuesdays may be added during warmer months when the group can fence outside in the center’s overflow parking field. We will also be looking to other local fencing marshals to assist us for a while. Morwill must step away due to a family obligation.
  • It was suggested that we do an inventory of Shire property so that we know exactly what all the Shire owns and where it is kept.

Officer Reports

A&S Report:

  • There is a glass bead making class on Sunday, March 5 at 6pm at the nature center. Aurddeilen has gotten a good response from the shire and our neighbors. Looks like we will have good attendance for this class.
  • Some shire members are going to the Japanese Tea Ceremony in Philadelphia. Spaces are limited. Please refer to shire website or Facebook page for details.
  • Aurddeilen is looking to coordinate a trip to the Cloisters in New York in the spring to coincide with the gardens there being in bloom.

Chronicler:

  • Winter newsletter is available
  • Jenevra has agreed to be our next officer spotlight

Webminister:

  • Website updates are coming along. Jenevra will be putting together directions for posting to the site for officers. Postings will automatically bounce to Facebook.

Chatelaine:

  • Nothing to report for Chatelaine

Mistress of the List:

  • No report.

Exchequer, Herald & Knight Marshal not present due to change in schedule

Event Reports:

Artisan’s Village

  • We are checking on additional parking for our group in an adjacent field at Tohickon since it is a summer weekend and the park will be busy. Waiting for confirmation from BC Parks.
  • 1 rustic cabin has been reserved for food storage and such.
  • Ivan and friends will be doing the food for the weekend. Dinner Saturday night will be more casual vs the usual feast.
  • Since this is a public park, it would be appreciated if more would be ready to assist in Chatelaine duties if the park patrons have questions about our group.
  • Ravenna has donated all of the tokens for the event (Thank You!)
  • All fires must be in a fire bowl.

Shire Wars

  • Aurddeilen presented the budget report from the last two shire wars (2015 & 2016). It was noted that 2015’s expense was a little higher due to it being an RP, but the attendance was also higher due to the same reason and the net was similar to 2016. The 2017 budget will be similar to last year’s.
  • Someone is still needed to do the feast for the event. Baron Mael Eoin has offered to do dayboard.
  • Volunteers are needed for feast.
  • Budget will need to be approved by other shires involved with the event. Aurddeilen and Ravenna will be attending their meetings to present and get approval of the budget.

Other

  • We have decided to forgo snacks at the meeting. Bring something for yourself if you so choose.
  • We are looking to have Social Sundays during the year that will be pot luck and rotate around to different member’s homes or the center. Schedule to be determined.

The next Shire meeting is March 16 at 7:30 pm at the Churchville Nature Center.

 

Business Meeting Minutes February 2017 

Winter Newsletter 2017

Posted by on Feb 16, 2017 in Chronicler | 0 comments

Greetings good gentles of the shire! As we pass through the winter months and move closer to the arrival of spring, I bring to you tidings from the Shire. First, I give you an introduction to our new Seneschal, Lady Ravenna, followed by upcoming activities and something to warm your winter Medieval table. Our newsletter will be a seasonal one, and I invite you to contribute as well, be it a bardic tidbit, a drawing, a photo of our Shire members out and about in the Kingdom, an A&S project you have finished, or a tasty treat of the season. All are welcome and encouraged to contribute to our Shire news, which by the way needs a name.

Yours in Service,
Lady Sigridh Bengtsdotter
Buckland Cross Chronicler

Please download the Winter Newsletter 2017

Business Meeting Minutes 2017-01-19

Posted by on Jan 22, 2017 in Chronicler | 0 comments

  • While waiting for everyone to arrive, SCA release forms were handed out by Jenevra for the following
    1. Model release forms – you give your permission to have your picture posted on the Shire/SCA sites
    2. Photo release forms – you give your permission for your photograph to be posted on the Shire/SCA sites
    3. Creative release forms – you allow your creative content to be posted on the Shire/SCA sites.
  • For those that still need to fill them out, they can be found at the following links, filled out and returned to Jenevra (Christine Connors).
  • As a last item of business as Seneschal Aurddeilen handed out book for each of the officers with information on their office, SCA and Kingdom Laws as a reference and will be passed on when leaving office. He then turned the meeting over to our new Seneschal Ravenna. Thanks were given to Aurddeilen for his service as leader to the group.

Officer Reports

  • Chronicler: Sigridh wants to get the newsletter going and would like to feature an office in each edition, starting with our Seneschal to get to know our officers. Meeting minutes will be posted on our website as will the newsletter when it is ready and will hopefully be published every other month.
  • Webminster: Jenevra wanted input on logins for the site, officer – vs‐ individual. We will have a static web page for each officer, a resources page with links to pertinent web sites and forms, a group blog page, and member only access to a discussion page and pictures.
  • Chatelaine: We had several contacts regarding fencing via the shire chatelaine email
  • Knight Marshal: nothing to report, but Morwill did mention that fencing practice is in need of loaner gear for new fencers
  • Herald: nothing to report.
  • Mistress of the List: nothing to report
  • Exchequer: Account access needs to be transferred over to new Exchequer and Seneshal.
  • Minister of Arts & Science: Aurddeilen said he would like to get some field trips together for the group to places like the Cloisters in New York, the 100th Anniversary of the Philadelphia Japanese Tea House April 2, the Sacred Arts Festival at Bryn Athyn on April 23 and perhaps the Morgan Library in NYC. He would also like to get monthly workshops going and listed a wide variety that he is able to teach: glass bead making, enameling, leather working, armoring, and many more. Also Feargus has agreed to do another chair workshop and Andreas has been contacted about an arrow making class

Upcoming Shire Events

  • Artisans Village: Jenevra reported that we have a site for the event at Tohickon Valley Park in Upper Bucks County near Point Pleasant (Here is the link to the county’s web page if you would like more information on the park.) The event will be held June 2‐4. We have the large group camping area & 1 pavilion reserved. There are also cabins on site that may be available if people want to rent them on their own. She is working on getting cooks for day board and feast. We are waiting on special use confirmation from the county parks director for the brewing workshop. Fees were also discussed.
  • Wrightstown: nothing to report, but a short discussion was had on whether to have a period or theme set up.
  • Shire Wars: nothing to report

Other Business

  • Ravenna asked all officers to send her their contact information, cell/email so that she has it available.
  • Next meeting is February 16 at the Churchville Nature Center, in the back classrooms at 7:30 pm. Tara has offered to bring the snacks

 

 Meeting Minutes January 2017